Sticks n Stones: comedy going too far?

Home Forums Water Cooler Sticks n Stones: comedy going too far?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Contributor
    2 pts

Dave and many other comedians seem to be getting themselves in hot water with certain circles of the media, or maybe the vocal minority.  Dave’s latest special seems like a like a fuck you to all of that.

I haven’t been a huge fan of standup throughout the years but I’ve been watching more of the greats and interviews with them.  Most comedians seem to take the stance that there is no subject matter that is off limits, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

Because really, how would you go about defining those rules?  What subject matter is OK but others are off-side?  A very slippery slope to censorship and something that has been fought for for many years.

I have never thought comedians have an important job, thinking they are just entertainers, which for the most part they are.  However, in this time, they have become one of the last defenders of freedom of speech.

Completing chappelle’s title, ‘names will never hurt me’ which we all know is not true.  Words hurt and linger more than most physical injuries (aside from grave injuries).  Bullying can be devastating to people subjected to it when they are most vulnerable.

I’m glad we are recognizing the fallacy in the old adage ‘names will never hurt me’ and seeing what it has done to people.  But to say a subject matter is taboo, and to what end?

If a subject matter of a comedian bothers you, don’t watch it, but don’t try and prevent others from watching.  This moral conformity or else vibe has gone way too far.

On this actual special, hilarious and on point.

bigbabyhulk
    Contributor
    5 pts

I watched. Ont eh one hand I thought why would Netflix allowed such a show consider their left leaning and on the other hand I was cracking up

Boone
    58 pts

I haven’t watched this yet, but I may check it out if I get around to it for sure

Citydude
    Contributor
    2 pts

Just to add bill burr dropped his special on netflix recently. His opening bit has some ‘controversial’ bits as well. Regarding netflix airing these, yeah somewhat surprising but netflix does not want to lose further subscribers and won’t cut what’s popular. Not yet anyway.

falcon
    Contributor

I guess I need to see this

Ryancat
    Contributor
    4 pts

Just to add bill burr dropped his special on netflix recently. His opening bit has some ‘controversial’ bits as well. Regarding netflix airing these, yeah somewhat surprising but netflix does not want to lose further subscribers and won’t cut what’s popular. Not yet anyway.

Personally, I don’t think that it’s a good move by Netflix to allow such a content looking at what they have been facing a lot lately with their number of subscribers dropping dramatically and drastically. It might come back to hunt them pretty bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT

Your privacy is important to us and we will never rent or sell your information.

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up